Choosing Career other than Engineering after class 12th with PCM
Now, you are going to complete your 12th Class with PCM (Physics, Chemistry, and Math). Parents and students will be anxious and wondering what to do after passing class 12th. For PCM stream students, I have already explained opportunities in the engineering field in my previous post ‘List of Engineering Entrance Exam’.
Now, I shall explain opportunities other than engineering field:
Admission for B. Arch (Bachelor of Architecture):
- Appear for the JEE Mains Paper 2 exam to get admission in the undergraduate Architecture course in NITs, and centrally funded government institutes.
- Sit for JEE Mains Paper 1 exam then clear JEE Advance exam. Finally, appear in AAT (Architecture Aptitude Test) to get admitted in IITs.
- To take admission in private colleges and universities, appear in the National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA)
- Appear KCET exam organized by Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) to take admission in various governments and private college in Karnataka.
- Check out for various state university and private colleges that are conducting their own entrance examination for admission to B. Arch.
Admission for B. Plan (Bachelor of Planning):
If you are interested in careers as Design Architect, Urban Planner, Interior design, Project Planner, you are advised to pursue B. Plan course. Students with PCM stream can take admission in various colleges or institution for pursuing B. Plan course by qualifying one of the following entrance examinations:
- JEE Main Paper 2 exam
- NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture)
- JUEE (Jadavpur University Entrance Exam)
- UPSEE (Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam)
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)
Here are some top institutes that offer B. Plan (Bachelor of Planning) course:
- School of Planning and Architecture (SPA) in New Delhi,
- Sushant School of Art and Architecture (SSAA) in Gurgaon,
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology (MANIT) IN Bhopal, and
- Lovely Professional University (LPU) in Jalandhar.
B. Des (Bachelor of Design):
Bachelor of Design course broadly covers Fashion Designing, Product Designing, Interior Designing, or Textile Designing area.
Some of the top colleges that offer Bachelor of Design course are:
- IIT Mumbai, IIT Guwahati, IITDM Jabalpur, and IIT Hyderabad. To take admission in these institutions, one should clear UCEED, a computer-based test. This test is comprised of three sections:
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions
Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) for a duration of 3 hours.
Other than IITs, there is a number of institutes that take admission on the basis of the UCEED scores. For example Nirma University, Ahmedabad; VIT University, Vellore; UPES, Dehradun; Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab; Delhi Technological University, Delhi; ARCH College of Design and Business, Jaipur; and UP Institute of Design, Noida.
- National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad: One has to clear three stages of the selection process to get into NID: Design Aptitude Test (DAT). It is an offline written exam for 100 marks for a duration of 3 hours. 64 MCQ and 3 subjective questions are asked to solve in this paper. After clearing DAT, one has to go for the second test Studio Test that is for 100 marks. In this paper it is asked related to drawing or sketching, handicraft modeling, group discussions, presentations, 3D Modeling, Making Portfolios, Observation Test, Material Manipulation, and Creative Thinking. After passing both the test, final stage interview is conducted.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT): To take admission into the NIFT, one has to participate in three stages of the selection process. In the first stage, you have to appear in Creative Ability Test (CAT) of a 3 hours long duration. The second stage is a 2-hour long General Ability Test (GAT). The third and final test is a Situation Test.
B.Sc (Bachelor of Science): A 4-year Bachelor of Science (Research) course is also available at IISc, Bangalore a premier institute. To take admission in IISc Bangalore, one has to clear KVPY exam conducted by IISc Bangalore. You can also take admission through cracking JEE Advance or NEET exam. One can also opt for BS-MS (dual degree) program at IISER. To take admission in IISER institute you have to clear KVPY exam. Also, by cracking JEE Advance or IISER Aptitude Test (IAT), one can seek admission in one of the 7 IISER institute located at Berhampur, Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune, Thiruvananthapuram, Tirupati. In addition to this, you can opt for B.Sc course in any college near you. B.Sc courses open a wide array of job options. You can do M.Sc later, write the NET (National Eligibility Test) exam and become a lecturer. You can also do B.Ed after Bachelor degree to become a teacher in a government school or private school.
B.C.A (Bachelor in Computer Application): One can go for a BCA or BCS (Bachelor of Computer Science) course. After that, you can do MCA or MCS courses. After doing this course, you can get job in IT sector companies for software development programming in India or abroad.
B. Com (Bachelor of Commerce): You may choose to pursue B. Com (Bachelor of Commerce) in various colleges available near your convenience. Most of the colleges offer this course. Later, you can do M. Com (Master of Commerce). You can get a job in the finance and banking sectors.
Armed with a Bachelor degree, you can apply for various jobs in the banking sector; civil services, defence jobs, and other government and private sector jobs.
In the next post, we will cover:
The Career in Defence after passing 12th with PCM.